Thursday, April 16, 2009

Last Minute Tea Party

Yesterday afternoon, as I sat on the couch with my cheeks puffed up feeling out of it (I had my wisdom teeth out on Tuesday), Wayne mentioned that there was a tea party tax day protest happening downtown from 3-6pm. I wasn't feeling good, he was busy, and we both figured it would pretty small in this town. On his way to take Duke for a walk at about 5:30, Wayne drove by and found that there was actually quite the crowd. On a spur of the moment inspiration he ran home, we printed a flyer on Atlas Shrugged, ran 100 copies at the local Mail Boxes, Etc, and we were off to spread the word.

There were a dozen or so people standing on the corner with signs and they were getting an encouraging amount of honking and cheering from people driving by. In the park nearby there was a speaker when we arrived, and a bunch of people were gathered to listen. While the speaker (and I'm sure a large percentage of the attendees) were clearly conservative religious types, at least they had the right idea in relation to taxes. After a few minutes of observation, Wayne started walking through the crowd and handing out the fliers and I grabbed a stack and stood at the gate giving them to people as they wandered in and out.

Everyone was very receptive and interested, and Wayne had a few people immediately turn to their spouse/friend/brother and say, "Hey - this is the book I've been trying to get you to read!" I had a few people ask me what it was about, etc, and unfortunately my mouth was so swollen that I could only get out a few words and I don't think even those were all that coherent!

All in all, a success for a (very) last minute effort. Even if only a couple of the the 100 people who got those flyers read the book and/or become interested, it was worth 20 minutes and a couple dollars in copies :) Duke even made a new friend (see the last picture, and note large amount of said friend's slobber on his head!).

No comments: